City Departments >
City Clerk >
Birth, Death & Marriage Records for the City of Buffalo ONLY >
Death Certificate Request
Death Certificate Request - FOR THE CITY OF BUFFALO ONLY
Application for Birth Certificate, Death Certificate or Marriage
Please E-mail us your suggestions or Comments
- Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
Fees: If no record is on file, a NO RECORD CERTIFICATION will be issued and the fee will NOT be refunded.
**Death Certificates (1950 – Current) for the Buffalo Veteran Affairs (VA) Medical Center are housed in the City Clerk’s office.**
Requesting a record in Person: You must provide proper identification and meet eligibility requirements depending on the type of document you are seeking. The fee is $10 per certificate payable by money order, credit card (MasterCard® or Visa®) or cash.
Requesting a record Via Internet: Orders can be processed with a credit card at www.vitalchek.com
Requesting a record Via Mail: Orders are processed within 7-10 days from receipt of mail request and the following information must be included:
- Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Money order payable to the City Clerk ($10 per certificate)
- Copy of government issued photo ID
- Include a contact phone number
- Proof of address if your address on your ID is not current and send to:
- Vital Records
1302 City Hall
65 Niagara Square
Buffalo NY 14202
Who is eligible to obtain a death certificate copy?
- The spouse, parent, child or sibling of the deceased - childrenand sibling must prove relationship through their birth certificate
- Other persons who have a:
What is a lawful right or claim?
If the applicant is not the spouse, parent, child or sibling of the decedent, a lawful right or claim must be documented. An example of a lawful right or claim would be a death record by the applicant to claim a benefit. Documentation would consist of an official letter from the agency verifying that to process the claim they require from the applicant a copy of the requested death record.
Identification Requirements - application must be submitted with copies of EITHER A or B:
A. One (1) of the following forms of valid photo ID:
- Drivers license with photo
- Non-driver photo ID card
- Other government issued photo ID
B. Five (5) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility bills (gas, electric, phone, cable)
- Paycheck stubs
- Social Services card
- Social Security card
- Health Insurance card
- Mortgage/Rental lease statement
Failure to include necessary identification will result in rejection of your application.
A copy of Passport is required if request is made from a foreign country that requires a U.S. Passport for travel.