City Departments >
City Clerk >
Birth, Death & Marriage Records for the City of Buffalo ONLY >
Birth Certificate Request
Birth Certificate Request - FOR THE CITY OF BUFFALO ONLY
Application for Birth Certificate, Death Certificate or Marriage
Please E-mail us your suggestions or Comments
- Office hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
Fees: If no record is on file, a NO RECORD CERTIFICATION will be issued and the fee will NOT be refunded.
Requesting a record in Person: You must provide government issued photo ID and meet eligibility requirements depending on the type of document you are seeking. The fee is $10 per certificate payable by money order, credit card MasterCard® or Visa®. or cash. Note: Wallet-sized photo birth certificates are available (only in person) for $25. The same criteria applies as for a hardcopy birth certificate.
Requesting a record Via Internet: Orders can be processed with a credit card at www.vitalchek.com
Requesting a record Via Mail: Orders are processed within 7-10 days from receipt of mail request and the following information must be included:
- Enclose a written request with the following information: name on birth certificate, date of birth, father's name and mother's maiden name
- Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Money order payable to the City Clerk ($10 per certificate)
- Copy of government issued photo ID
- Proof of address if your address on your ID is not current and send to:
- Vital Records
1302 City Hall
65 Niagara Square
Buffalo NY 14202
We do not send records to third parties or PO Boxes.
Who is eligible to obtain a birth certificate copy?
- The person named on the birth certificate.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent's name must be on birth certificate)
- Only by order of a New York State Court or a Government agency for a legal or proper purpose may a spouse, child or other
persons obtain a copy of a birth certificate.
Fee for certified copy is $10.00 per certificate.
Fee for photo birth certificate is $25.00 (in person request only)
Identification Requirements - application must be submitted with copies of EITHER A or B:
A. One (1) of the following forms of valid photo ID:
- Drivers license with photo
- Non-driver photo ID card
- Other government issued photo ID
B. Five (5) of the following showing the applicant's name and address:
- Utility bills (gas, electric, phone, cable)
- Paycheck stubs
- Social Services card
- Social Security card
- Health Insurance card
- Mortgage/Rental lease statement
Failure to include necessary identification will result in rejection of your application.
A copy of Passport is required if request is made from a foreign country that requires a U.S. Passport for travel.